Tuesday, October 30, 2012

You Were Supposed to Be a Football

Dear Jordy-Bug,

Last year at this time, just after we found out you were a girl, I started thinking about what costume you'd wear for your first Halloween (one of approximately 10 million plans I had for you.) I guessed you'd be around 8 months old when the holiday rolled around in 2012 because, for some reason, Daddy and I both thought you'd be a Leap Day baby and come a little earlier than your March 10th due date. So, I started scouring the internet for the perfect 9-month costume for Trunk or Treat at church. It didn't take me long to find the ideal match. What could be more perfect for a big, hulking football coach than to carry around his little Jordyn "TD" under his arm, as everyone giggled at our little baby girl "football?" Yes, you were supposed to be a football. Not a fairy princess, not a ballerina, not a cute little butterfly or bumble bee. A football. Because that's how Daddy and I roll. We thought you'd have plenty of time to wear what you wanted as you got older. And, although I guessed you'd be like Mommy and avoid dresses at all costs, I also didn't think you'd go for the football idea later. So, we were intent on doing it our way for at least a year or two. Hence the big ol' bows you donned in the NICU. (A friend of mine told me that you are probably still cursing me for making you wear them, by the way. Lol.)

You never got to be a football. Or a princess. Or a ballerina. Or anything else. Grandma Nockerts lovingly ordered a ladybug costume for you, but because your life was cut short 7 months before Halloween ever arrived, your Jordyn Bear will wear it. Silly to some people, I suppose. But it's all we have now.

We didn't go to Trunk or Treat last Saturday. We didn't even go to the annual meeting at church after Trunk or Treat, because I didn't want to be surrounded by cute little babies all dressed up in adorable costumes. Some of our friends graciously dressed their little ones in ladybug costumes in your honor, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't go see them. So, Daddy and I grabbed a pizza and then came home to watch shows we had recorded on the DVR. Not at all what either of us pictured last October.

Now here I sit on the eve of what should be your first Halloween, wiping away tears as I think about how there's no little football crawling around our house. No "oohs and aahs" from neighbors, friends, or family about how cute you are in your costume. No stash from which to extract our Mommy and Daddy "candy tax" (I guess that's better for our waistlines anyway.) No Halloween at all. Tomorrow night, we'll be at Daddy's playoff football game. I'm hoping and praying there won't be babies in costumes, but I doubt I'd get that lucky. So, I'll deal with it the best I can. Maybe I'll picture you in heaven trick-or-treating. My, what a grand-scale Trunk or Treat that must be! Since you get to choose your own costume, what will you be? Whatever you choose, you'll be the cutest one ever. I just know it. I just wish Daddy and I could see it.

We miss you, little Bug. More than anything, we love you.

Love,

22 comments:

  1. Thanks Kelly. I loved your post. You know, Jordy probably would not stay still to get into that football. It would have been a sight to see! Love you guys!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, I would have found her a costume in which her arms and legs would stick out, so she could move. The costume in the photo above would be for a newborn. I didn't plan to stick her in a sack and expect her to comply. lol.

      Delete
    2. Your little bug is one lucky little angel to have such a wonderful mommy & daddy. Your posts both warm my heart and break it all at the same time. I pray for you guys everyday. xoxo

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Stacy. We really appreciate it.

      Delete
    4. And again there were tears. Love the theme of the football costume and I am sure she would be the nicest football her daddy ever carried. I wonder if they are having "Angel Food Candy" for Halloween treat in Heaven. I can picture the smearing of chocolate on that sweet face. May God Bless you and Dennis.
      Love from Jordy's Grandma Nocks

      Delete
    5. If she's anything like her Mommy or Daddy, she's definitely going to be "all up in" the chocolate! Love you mom.

      Delete
  2. Ugh way to make me emotional! I didn't even think of halloween, though i guess its not as big a holiday as it is over in america. But i had a plan to dress Loken up at christmas cause there were so many cute outfits last December.. mmm I'm so sorry you don't get to cuddle your little football :( xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween has never been a big deal to me either (except maybe in college), but it's hitting me differently this year. I know you "get it."

      Delete
    2. Definitely get it. It didn't hit me till people started posting pictures of their bubs dressed up.
      Missing out on so much :( xoxoxo

      Delete
    3. Yep. I've already had to hide several photo posts of baby girls in costumes. I didn't hide any ladybug ones though...those are special and I'm trying to look past the fact that it's not Jordyn, but that people loves her enough to dress their kiddo in her honor.

      Delete
  3. Love this one Kelly, and I'm sure Jordyn does too. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this post makes me HOPE & PRAY that there is Halloween in Heaven, so when you're reunited, you're dreams can finally come true. Love my Sander-Bug family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that EVERYTHING we miss on earth with her can be "replayed" in heaven.

      Delete
    2. Gosh, me too sweet mama bug.

      Delete
  5. She would have been an adorable football...such a creative Mom you are, Kelly! BTW I wanted Audrie to be a ladybug on her first Halloween. I could not find a ladybug costume I absolutely loved so she ended up being a bee. Since that time, she has become our Audrie Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that tagline! Had to run to the computer so I could read it better...lol
    We love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every "lady bug" trick or treater I saw, I thought of Jordyn...and you.
    Prayers and more prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that was me. Cathy Gieselman

      Delete
    2. LOL. For some reason, I guess that. ;) Thank you, friend!

      Delete

On March 14, 2012, I gave birth to Jordyn, the most beautiful baby girl ever. During delivery, however, she was deprived of oxygen. We lived with her in the NICU for two weeks, loving her, holding her, reading to her, singing to her, bathing her, changing her diapers, styling her full head of dark brown hair, praying over her, and sharing her with friends and family, until she went home to Jesus on March 28, 2012. These are my love letters to Jordyn Tyse-Dallas "TD" Sander; our little Jordy-Bug.