Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What I've Lost...and Gained

Dear Jordy-Bug,

Recently, a friend posted on Facebook about a substantial weight loss of which she is very proud (and she should be), and it immediately triggered memories of the times my chunky self has worked to lose weight. It didn't take long before I thought of how fast I lost "the baby weight" (plus 20 more pounds) after you died. This time, though, I didn't do it on purpose and it wasn't done in a healthy manner. Putting food in my mouth for the first three months after you left made me physically ill. So, those 70 pounds melted off by May. Yes, you did the math correctly (we'll say you got your number sense from Daddy, even though Mommy is no math slouch either.) I gained fifty pounds with you! It had a lot to do with the fact that my hips, back, and sciatic areas were so bad that I didn't get off the couch for half of the pregnancy. The Double Stuff Oreos probably didn't help either.

Of course, this conversation in my head then triggered another one...what else have I lost since you went to be with Jesus? First and foremost, I've lost you. I've lost the dreams I had for you. I've lost my future with you. I've lost my membership to the "mom club" where special people go on play dates and talk about raising their children to love God and be good people. But besides the obvious, I've also lost other things. I've lost my capacity to start or finish a sentence without tears being right behind every word. I've lost my joy in seeing other moms with babies or pregnant women. I've lost my ability to smile and mean it. I've lost my patience when dealing with people who complain about petty problems. I've lost the ability to have a stream of conscious thought that doesn't revolve back to you. I've lost the filter that keeps me from saying things I probably shouldn't share with others. I've lost my motivation to work or clean the house. I've lost a bunch of hair. I've lost my desire to socialize. I've lost my false sense of security. And I've lost my confidence that Daddy and I were meant to have a baby to raise.

I've lost a lot. But I also realize that I've gained much from you (and I'm not just referring to the crazy amount of weight I put on during our 9 months of growing together.) I've gained a greater appreciation for the miracle of birth/life. I've gained a more intense concern for the safety and health of Daddy, and of others who I love. I've gained a deeper desire to keep and nurture my faith in God, in order to gain His great inheritance in heaven and to see you again someday. I've gained an acute need to pray more, to get closer to the One who cares for you and holds you on His lap. I've gained a keen awareness that Daddy and I have some pretty amazing friends and a loving, supportive family. I've gained the insight that will keep me from taking those same people for granted. I've gained perspective on what really matters in this world. And I've gained the knowledge that Daddy and I made a gorgeous, healthy baby girl who we will love forever.

Today, as we struggle with our emotions on your 5-Month Angelversary in heaven, I want you to know that losing you was and is excruciating, but the lessons we've gained from you are priceless. Thank you, honey. We love you more every day.

Love,

26 comments:

  1. <3 you said it perfectly! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through your letters to Jordyn, you continue to remind all of us how fragile life can be and that we should never take any of God's miracles for granted. You, Dennis, and Jordyn inspire all of us to keep God in our lives. I am humbled each time I read a new letter to your daughter. I am at a time in my life that I can look back and realize just how blessed our lives have been. Your true life story reminds me to give thanks. My hopes for you, Dennis, and Jordyn are that you will continue to celebrate Jordyn's life and someday, the life of her little brother or sister. :)
    -Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) That was so beautiful Kelly!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement...it helps me keep writing.

      Delete
  4. This blog is amazing! Very powerful. You are very courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you....um,yeah, that's all I've got, just...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jordyn must be so proud to have such a devoted Mommy and Daddy: devoted to her, devoted to the Lord, and devoted to each other. Keep praying and keep growing and keep sharing your thoughts. Hugs to ya.
    Cathy Gieselman

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so powerful in your words Kelly that I can actually feel your anguish, despair, hope and love. As I sit here with tears in my eyes I reflect on how lucky I am to be able to hold Kate in my arms and to cherish all of the new milestones in her life. I have known you almost my whole life and wish with all of my heart that I could reach out and hug you Kelly. Know that you and Dennis are always in my heart and prayers!!! Erin Olson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Erin. We'll hug again. I promise.

      Delete
  8. This was especially beautiful, Kelly. I bawled even more than usual.
    --Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet, Janelle. You're just doing what God told you to do..." Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." Romans 12:15. I love you for it.

      Delete
  9. Going to try this one more time. I have a hard time writing a reply after I read your letters to Jordy, to many tears in the way. I love reading them and am inspired by your remarks. Sometimes there is even a chuckle in them. I can just picture Jordy sharing these with all her angel friends and maybe bragging how much "MY Mommie and Daddy Love Me". Five months and seems like just yesterday I was holding her and cooing to her. Sure do miss that little girl, and also her mommy and daddy.
    Love,
    Grandma Nockerts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much mom. It means everything to me to have your love and support.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly this post is so very beautiful! I can't wait until you are able to hold Jordyn and talk to her. Thank you for writing the blog. It is especially helpful for those of us who love the Sander family and wonder how you feel but don't always ask.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made me appreciate my kids so much more and I am awed by the faith walk you are on. I am encouraged on my hardest days that eternity is just around the corner in God's timing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. {singing}Dooo--nnn't Stop....Be -leeeving....hold on to that feeeelllliing...lol I love you both, and I can't wait until you're ready to try and give Jordy a little sister or brother! I know you don't feel like you're getting anywhere emotionally, but I've noticed a change (small, but I'll take it!) in your posts. Miss you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry. I posted yesterday, but it did not take. :( I agree with Janelle. This is beautiful; you and Jordyn are beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete

On March 14, 2012, I gave birth to Jordyn, the most beautiful baby girl ever. During delivery, however, she was deprived of oxygen. We lived with her in the NICU for two weeks, loving her, holding her, reading to her, singing to her, bathing her, changing her diapers, styling her full head of dark brown hair, praying over her, and sharing her with friends and family, until she went home to Jesus on March 28, 2012. These are my love letters to Jordyn Tyse-Dallas "TD" Sander; our little Jordy-Bug.